Outstanding Achievements Recognized at ASHRAE’s Annual Conference
ST. LOUIS, June 25, 2016 — Ninety-two people were recognized by ASHRAE for their contributions to the Society and the built environment industry at the Society’s 2016 Annual Conference held here June 25-29.
Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award
Steven T. Taylor, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, receives the Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award. This annual award is given to an ASHRAE Fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work. The honor was initiated in 1979 by Presidential Member Bill Holladay. Taylor is principal, Taylor Engineering, Alameda, California.
Andrew T. Boggs Service Award
Presidential Member H.E. “Barney” Burroughs, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, receives the Andrew T. Boggs Service Award. The award, named after ASHRAE’s executive vice president emeritus, recognizes an Exceptional Service Award recipient for continuing unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service. Burroughs is president and CEO, Building Wellness Consultancy Inc., Johns Creek, Georgia.
Distinguished 50-Year Member Award
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to individuals who have been a member for a minimum of 50 years, and who have performed outstanding service. The following 15 members received the award:
- Herman F. Behls, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired from Sargent and Lundy Engineers, Chicago, Illinois. He resides in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
- Charles E. Bullock, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in North Syracuse, New York.
- Eileen Duignan-Woods, P.E., Life Member, resides in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Paul J. Halyard, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is president emeritus, Peninsula Forensic Engineering Inc., Orlando, Florida.
- Norman W. Johnson, Life Member, was recognized posthumously.
- Ping Ki Kwok, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Happy Valley, Hong Kong.
- Denis J. Morris, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Charles J. Procell, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Hartsdale, New York.
- James A. Scriven, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- J. Thomas Sobieski, Life Member, is retired as executive vice president, Miller-Picking Corp., part of York International Corp., Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
- Tseng-Yao Sun, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
- Carl A. Swenson, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Greeley, Colorado.
- Gordon B. Weld, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- John W. Welsh, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, was recognized posthumously.
- Gary L. Wingfield, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, resides in Sapphire, North Carolina.
Exceptional Service Award
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Service Award recipients who have continued to serve faithfully and with exemplary effort. Ten members were recognized:
- Pradeep Kumar Bansal, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, is a research and development scientist, building equipment research, Energy and Transportation Science Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Piotr A. Domanski, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is leader, HVAC&R Equipment Performance Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Chad B. Dorgan, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, is vice president – quality and sustainability, McCarthy Holdings Inc., St. Louis, Missouri.
- Brian A. Fricke, Ph.D., is senior research and development staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Victor W. Goldschmidt, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is professor emeritus, Purdue University – School of Mechanical Engineering,
- West Lafayette, Indiana. He resides in Northpoint, Michigan.
- Presidential Member A. Damon Gowan, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired as president, Gowan Inc. Mechanical Contractors, Galveston, Texas.
- John L. Harrod, P.E., HFDP, resides in Edmond, Oklahoma.
- T. Randall Jones, Life Member, is president, Chapman Co., Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina.
- Dennis J. Wessel, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and resides in Hudson, Ohio.
- Craig Wray, P.Eng., retired from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, resides in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade who have served the Society faithfully and with distinction and who have given freely of their time and talent in chapter, regional and Society activities. The following 34 members were recognized:
- Omar Abdelaziz, Ph.D., is a senior research and development staff and group leader, building equipment research group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- James Bochat, Life Member, is president, Commissioning Concepts, based in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Wade H. Conlan P.E., CPMP, is principal, exp, Maitland, Florida.
- John D. Cowan, P.Eng., Life Member, is an independent consultant in the arts and sciences involved in the fair reporting of energy savings achieved by energy efficiency projects, Toronto, Ontario.
- Chuck Dale-Derks, P.E., is principal, McClure Engineering, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Drake H. Erbe is vice president of market development, Airxchange Inc., Rockland, Maryland.
- Robert H. Fuller, P.E., Life Member, is director of engineering, Metro CD Engineering LLC., Columbus, Ohio.
- Robert J. Hitchcock, Ph.D., is principal, Hitchcock Consulting, Sacramento, California.
- Walter D. Horn, P.E., is president/CEO, WH Engineering Inc., Richardson, Texas.
- Carl F. Huber, P.E., is vice president of corporate quality and sustainability, Waterfurnace International Inc., Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
- Bruce D. Hunn, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and resides in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Robert A. Jones, P.E., is an engineer, Parker Sporlan Division, Washington, Missouri.
- Dennis R. Landsberg, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, BEAP, is president, L&S Energy Services Inc., Clifton Park, New York, and Henderson, Nevada.
- Karine Leblanc is sales engineer, U.S. Air Conditioning Distributors, City of Industry, California.
- Mark M. MacCracken, P.E., is CEO, CALMAC, Fair Lawn, New Jersey.
- Michael F. Mamayek, P.E., Life Member, is executive vice president, Illingworth-Kilgust Mechanical, West Allis, Wisconsin.
- Timothy P. McDowell, BEMP, is executive vice president, Thermal Energy System Specialists LLC., Madison, Wisconsin.
- Alex McGowan, P.Eng., is vice president of technical services, WSP Canada Inc., Victoria, British Columbia.
- Gregory Meeuwsen is staff engineer, acoustics and mechanics technology, Ingersoll Rand – Trane Commercial HVAC, La Crosse, Wisconsin.
- Matthew C. Middlebrooks is senior product engineer, Filtration Group, York, South Carolina.
- Barbara Haviland Minor is senior technical fellow – refrigerants, The Chemours Co., Wilmington, Delaware.
- Ronald L. Petersen, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, is with CPP Inc., Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Heather L. Platt, P.E., is senior associate, Mazzetti, Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Daniel R. Rogers, P.E., is president and owner, Flow Control Technology Co. LLC., Tampa, Florida.
- Steven Rosenstock, P.E., is senior manager, energy solutions, Edison Electric Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Anand K. Seth, P.E., Life Member, provides consulting services to healthcare clients. He resides in North Reading, Massachusetts.
- Frank Shadpour, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, HFDP, is principal, SC Engineers Inc., San Diego, California.
- Harris M. Sheinman, P.E., is with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Som S. Shrestha, Ph.D., BEMP, is research and development staff, Building Technologies Research and Integration Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Benjamin A. Skelton, P.E., BEMP, CPMP, is president, Cyclone Energy Group, Chicago, Illinois.
- Robert C. Sonderegger, Ph.D., Life Member, is director and engineering advisor, Itron Inc., Oakland, California.
- Bodh R. Subherwal, P.E., Life Member, is president, BR Laboratories Inc., Huntington Beach, California.
- Scott Wayland, P.E., is mechanical engineering department manager, AEPC Group, San Ramon, California.
- Christopher K. Wilkins, P.E., is senior project manager, CRB, Medford, Massachusetts.
Journal Paper Award
Philip Bartholomew, P.E., receives the Journal Paper Award for the article,“Energy-Efficient Approach for Operating Rooms,” judged to be the best article published in ASHRAE Journal. The article was published in April 2015. Bartholomew is senior mechanical project engineer, Miller-Remick, Cherry Hill,New Jersey.
Crosby Field Award
John A. Shonder and Cyrus H. Nasseri are the recipients of the Crosby Field Award for their paper, “Achieving Deeper Energy Savings in Federal Energy Performance Contracts,” which was judged to be the best paper presented before the Society. The Crosby Field Award is named for Presidential Member Field. Shonder is director of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Sustainability Performance Office, Washington, D.C. Nasseri is program manager, U.S. DOE’s Federal Energy Management Program, Washington, D.C.
Technical Paper Award
The following papers received a Technical Paper Award, which recognizes the authors of the best papers presented at Society conferences.
James W. VanGilder, Zachary M. Pardey, Dustin W. Demetriou, Ph.D., H. Ezzat Khalifa, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Hamza Salih Erden, Ph.D., and Roger R. Schmidt, Ph.D., P.E., receive an award for “Proposal for Standard Compact Server Model for Transient Data Center Simulations.” VanGilder is director of thermal analytics, Schneider Electric, Andover, Massachusetts; Pardey is a research engineer, Schneider Electric, Andover, Massachusetts; Demetriou is an advisory engineer, Advanced Thermal Energy Efficiency Lab, IMB Corp., Poughkeepsie, New York; Khalifa is NYSTAR Distinguished Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University, New York; Erden is assistant professor, Informatics Institute, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey; and Schmidt is Traugott Distinguished Professor, Syracuse University, New York.
David Pommerenke, Ph.D., Xu Gao, Atieh Talebzadeh, David E. Swenson, Mahdi Moradian, Ph.D., and Yunan Han, Ph.D., receive an award for “Dependence of ESD Charge Voltage on Humidity in Data Centers: Estimation of ESD Related Risk in Data Centers Using Voltage Level Extrapolation and Chebyshev’s Inequality.” Pommerenke is with the EMC Laboratory, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla; Gao is antenna engineer, Apple Inc., Cupertino, California; Talebzadeh is a Ph.D. candidate, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla; Swenson is president, Affinity Static Center Consulting LLC., Round Rock, Texas; Moradian is with the Department of Engineering, Amin Institute of Higher Education, Isfahan, Iran; and Han is an assistant professor, College of Information Science and Technology, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, China
Michael P. Case, Ph.D., Justine Yu, Richard J. Liesen, Ph.D., Alexander Zhivov, Ph.D., and Matthew M. Swanson, Ph.D., receive an award for “Integration of Master Planning and Energy Planning: From Detailed to Conceptual Analysis.” Case is program manager for installations, Yu is a research architect, Liesen is senior research engineer in energy systems and Zhivov is a senior research engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Engineer Research and Development Center, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, Champaign, Illinois; Swanson resides in Houghton, Michigan.
Dennis L. O’Neal, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Douglas Damon Ingram and Carl Reid receive an award for “Modeling Fan Powered Terminal Unit Fan/Motor Combinations Controlled by Silicon-Controlled Rectifiers.” O’Neal is dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Ingram is a research assistant, Baylor University, Waco, Texas; and Reid is a staff engineer, Bee USA, Austin, Texas.
Willis H. Carrier Award
Dustin W. Demetriou, Ph.D., and Hamza Salih Erden, Ph.D., receive the Willis H. Carrier Award, which is given to a member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society conference. The award is presented for “Proposal for Standard Compact Server Model for Transient Data Center Simulations.”
Lincoln Bouillon Award
Jessica Mangler, P.E., of the St. Louis Chapter, receives the Lincoln Bouillon Award, which recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing membership. The award commemorates Presidential Member Bouillon’s efforts in recruiting new members. Mangler is a mechanical engineer, Ross & Baruzzini, St. Louis, Missouri.
William J. Collins Jr. RP Award
Kimberly M. Thompson, P.E., HBDP, of the Houston Chapter, receives the William J. Collins Jr. RP Award. The award, named in honor of Presidential Member Collins, recognizes a chapter RP chair who excels in raising funds for ASHRAE’s RP campaign. Thompson is director of higher education and laboratory markets, HTS, Houston, Texas.
Environmental Health Award
Francis J. Offermann, P.E, CIH, receives the Environmental Health Award, which recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. Offermann is president, Indoor Environmental Engineering, San Francisco, California.
Government Advocacy Award
Arthur D. Hallstrom, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, BEMP, of the West Virginia Chapter, receives the Government Advocacy Award. The award recognizes individuals for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the Society. Hallstrom resides in Crestview, Florida.
Lou Flagg Historical Award
Faye C. McQuiston, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, of the Central Oklahoma Chapter, receives the Lou Flagg Historical Award, which recognizes an individual for preparing the most outstanding historical presentation related to HVAC&R. The award is named in recognition of Presidential Member Lou Flagg, who promoted an interest in history. McQuiston is professor emeritus, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Student Activities Achievement Award
Ather Naseem Siddiqui, of the Northern Pakistan Chapter, receives the Student Activities Achievement Award, which recognizes a chapter Student Activities Committee chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities. Siddiqui is CEO, Environmental Engineering Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Standards Achievement Award
Jerry M. Sipes, Ph.D, P.E., receives the Standards Achievement Award, which recognizes exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. He was recognized posthumously. Prior to his death he served as vice president of engineering, Price Industries Inc., Suwanee, Georgia.
Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award
Jovan Pantelic, Ph.D., receives the Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award, which is given to a promising investigator for significant accomplishment in the general area of peoples’ response to the environment. Pantelic is an assistant professional researcher, Center for the Built Environment, University of California, Berkeley.
ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a global society advancing human well-being through sustainable technology for the built environment. The Society and its more than 55,000 members worldwide focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability. Through research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today.